Anita’s check list for
self-editing your manuscript.
- Bear or bare? Hear or Here? Put your ms. through Spell Check before submitting it to an editor or agent, but Don't rely on Spell Check to catch errors!
- Where, when, why? Track your story on a Chronology Chart to create a smooth timeline and eliminate redundancies.
- Who's talking? Clarify each character's point of view for proper pronoun use.
Put dialogue in proper form, using commas and quotation marks correctly!
- Put characters' thoughts in Italics, not quotes.
- How long is too long? Cut, combine, and eliminate words you do not need.
- Where's the punch? Write in Active Voice, instead of Passive Voice whenever possible.
- Do not rush through major scenes.
- Avoid missed opportunities for creating dramatic scenes that will propel the story forward.
Self-editing your book before turning it over to a professional shows how much you care about your work, the story, and your readers.
With twenty-five years in the publishing industry, I understand the challenges authors face. I will review your manuscript for spelling errors, consistent style, grammar, tone, and factual accuracy to ensure a well written book. I'd love to be a part of your journey to publication. For info on my editorial services click on the Editorial Services Page of this website.
Sending a Sample? Be sure to include the following in your email :
Title of your book
Author's name, contact phone #, website url
Page count - double spaced, 12 point font